BrightLocal conducted an Online Review Survey in 2016, here were the key takeaways:
- 84% of people trust online reviews as much as a personal recommendation
- 7 out of 10 consumers will leave a review for a business if they’re asked to
- 90% of consumers read less than 10 reviews before forming an opinion about a business
- 54% of people will visit the website after reading positive reviews
- 73% of consumers think that reviews older than 3 months are no longer relevant
- 74% of consumers say that positive reviews make them trust a local business more
- 58% of consumers say that the star rating of a business is most important
To say that up-to-date online reviews are important is an understatement. Here are 5 things that you can do to gain reviews:
Send a newsletter with the link to review your business. It’s a good idea to send out a ‘Welcome’ email to all new clients, invite them to connect with you on social media and ask them to review your business online. Send the link in the newsletter and provide simple step-by-step instructions. We really like MailChimp for email marketing.
Host a giveaway. Add a little incentive for clients to review you online and watch your numbers skyrocket. When we manage a brands reputation online, we host a giveaway once per quarter to encourage online reviews, it’s a sure-fire way to gain reviews. People love free stuff!
Highlight positive reviews on your website. Choose four or five of your best reviews and feature them on your home page, perhaps in the form of a slider, this will bring instant credibility to your website.
Respond to reviews. If someone takes the time to review your business online (positive or negative), you should respond – say thanks, invite them back if they had a poor experience. They will be notified that you responded and it will encourage the next person who comes through and thinks about leaving a review to follow-through since they know that you look at and appreciate them.
Put the link to review your business online on your website. Make it easy for them to leave an online review, put a link in your footer on your website.
If you have any questions or would like recommendations tailored to your business, we’d love to help. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.